Electroporation

Katherine A Borkovich Katherine.A.Borkovich at uth.tmc.edu
Tue Dec 19 06:04:43 EST 2000

Colleagues:

I would like to share our experience in testing the Eppendorf 2510
Electroporator for transformation of Neurospora crassa.  This unit is
very easy and safe to use.  The only parameter that can be adjusted is
the voltage; however, the preset conditions worked quite well in our
hands.  Using settings of 1800 or 2000 volts we have been able to match
or surpass the electroporation efficiencies (colonies/microgram DNA) we
obtained previously using the Invitrogen unit or the BioRad instrument
[using the (corrected) conditions reported by Margolin et al., Fungal
Genetics Newsletter, Number 47, 2000].  So far, we have tested the hph
(hygromycin resistance), bar (Ignite resistance) and his-3 markers.

The Eppendorf 2510 list price is $1595; however, our local Fisher
representative carries this unit, and was able to offer it at a sizeable
discount.

Katherine A. Borkovich, Ph.D.

---