Please help identify

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Tue Dec 19 16:54:43 EST 2000

In article <91lkvq$2mv$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  wtangel at cais.com wrote:
>  I purchased some mushrooms from a local supermarket (Washington, DC
> area) last week, not to eat but to photograph. The salesperson
> identified the mushrooms  as "shiitake", but in browsing the web
> resources on mushrooms I am having a problem confirming that this was
> in fact the correct identification.
>
> The photos I made can be found at
>   http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=78021
>
>  I would appreciate it if someone could either confirm this
> identification, or else supply a more accurate identification of this
> species.

The salesperson was in error, Bill. The fungi are not shiitake (Lentinula
edodes) but rather oysters (Pleurotus sps, probably P. ostreatus). The
good news is they are still quite edible.

Shiitake (Lentinula edodes) can be easily identified from most other
fungi by the wavy, saw-toothed gills. However, those gills are never
descending as shown in your photo. Mature shiitake have slightly scaley
caps which are usually shades of brown to nearly chocolate brown in
color, again not the color shown in the photo.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/