Fungi fd. 12/18/2000

Andreas Gminder agminder at s.netic.de
Thu Dec 21 08:02:26 EST 2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com schrieb in Nachricht ...

>Finally, an unknown fungus, looks like either a Clitocybe or
>Leucopaxillus, bright red-orange, with decurrent white gills. Abundantly
>fruiting with Macrolepiota on a thatcher-ant nest about 4 feet tall and
>perhaps 3 feet diameter. Observed 3 Macrolepiota (nearly too old to
>identify) and perhaps 20 of this bright mostly yellowish, wavy-capped
>mushroom 3+ inches across. I first thought they were old chanterelles,
>but with white gills and still fresh (after a hard freeze only last
>week). Anyone have a guess to share?

Hallo,

only a guess, because I'm not familiar with the american fungus flora: What
about Lepista/Clitocybe flaccida or gilva or inversa? When I remember right,
there is an american counterpart of this species(-complex) which is called
Clitocybe splendoides (or splendendoides?), created by Bigelow (or at least
decribed in the Clitocybe monographie). But these species should have a
pinkish-cream spore colour.

Only a suggestion, because here in Germany Lepista flaccida s.l. grows often
together with Macrolepiota rhacodes in deep needle-beds or also in old
ant-heaps.

best wishes from Germany,
Andreas