I need HELP on a mushroom science project!!!

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 08:02:41 EST 2000

Charles Lindeman wrote:

>  HELP!!!
> I am working with a science project involving mushrooms.
> I have scanned all the sites looking for what makes Oyster mushrooms
> grow larger and/ or faster.
> So far, I found a science project at Dr. Rush Waynes site that involved
> using Alaska fish fertilizer.
> By spraying this on the mushrooms, the weight was increased by 11.6%.
> But I cannot find any other information in this area, it seems not many
> people are working to produce bigger mushrooms for food production.
> My questions are:
> What can I use to make my oysters larger, or grow faster?
> I saw some information on gibberellic acid, but no details on how much
> to use, or how well it works.
> Will plant hormones work?
> How about black cohosh?
> Where can I learn about this research, are any doctors working on bigger
> mushrooms to help feed the world?
> Do you have any suggestions on what I should try for my experiment?
> What works?
> Thank you so much, any information will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Sorry about the delay in this reply.
I cannot advise you on how to make oyster mushrooms grow bigger
(or faster), but in my experience the larger an oyster mushroom
is the tougher it gets. The best ones tend to be on the small side.
I think you should concentrate on a lot of little ones quickly.

This does not apply to all mushrooms. Most mushrooms with stipes
('toadstool' shape) have more flavour when bigger and are not
noticably tougher.

Edwin Hutton