mushroom row cropping

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Feb 4 06:31:52 EST 2000

In article <3898CBCC.C06522C4 at pilot.msu.edu>,
  wrightc2 at pilot.msu.edu (Chris Wright) wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> Does anyone out there have any references or website addresses which
> portray or describe mushrooms being intercropped with conventional
> agricultural crops (i.e. corn, soybean, wheat, etc).
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.
>
> Chris

I don't know that there are any websites available. But there are many
businesses based on that basis. For example, my website (below) sells
truffles grown in symbiotic relationship with Douglas fir trees at what
used to be a Christmas tree farm near Oregon City, Oregon. I have since
inoculated 6 other sites with various truffles.

Shiitake (Lentinula edodes) is often grown from pruned or thinned trees
in a stand. I have grown them on Bigleaf maple (Acer macrophyllum),
Black cottonwood, Oregon White oak (Quercus garryana), and even Western
hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla). It also grows readily on a variety of
trees found throughout the US, many of them considered "weed" species.

While the vast majority of mushroom cultivators grow saprophytic fungi
(wood degraders) such as Pleurotus ostreatus, Lentinula edodes, Grifola
frondosa, Laetiporus sulphureus, and a host of others; some cultivators
are working more with the symbiotic fungi such as Oregon White truffle
(Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale), Oregon Gray trufle (Tuber gibbosum var.
gibbosum), Oregon Pallid truffle (Tuber murnium), Oregon Black truffle
(Leucangium carthusiana), and others. I have grown about 35 species of
mycorrhizal fungi to date, and am still working with others. One of the
advantages of cultivating such fungi is that a crop of mushrooms, and
sometimes several different mushrooms each year, can be harvested from
the same stand of trees: all while growing trees more quickly.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.