Stinkhorns / Phallus impudicus

Bart Pannebakker pannebakker at rulsfb.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Mar 23 13:42:39 EST 2000

Dear all,

I am a PhD-student at the sections of Animal Ecology and Evolutionary
Biology of the Institute of Evolutionary and Ecological Sciences of the
University of Leiden in The Netherlands. I am working on the ecological
genetics of sex in the asexually reproducing parasitoid wasp Leptopilina
clavipes. My project concerns research into mutation accumulation during
asexual reproduction and life-history consequences of sexual and asexual
reproduction in L. clavipes.

L. clavipes is a larval parasitoid of mushroom feeding Drosphila flies and
can be obtained by collecting naturally occurring mushrooms. Previous
research has learned that the most suitable mushrooms for collection of L.
clavipes are stinkhorns (Phallus impudicus). These mushrooms are most
abundant in (old) forests with a thick layer of organic litter. The wasps
can be obtained by collecting old decaying mushrooms on which the fly
larvae have fed.
We would like to collect strains from different localities and test them
for mutation accumulation and life-history characteristics. From previous
fieldwork, a number of suitable collection sites in The Netherlands are
known.

In order to obtain a number of genetically diverse strains, we would like
to collect several strains from different localities over Europe. It would
greatly facilitate the research when suitable collection sites (i.e.
growing sites of stinkhorns) over Europe are known. If you would know any
growing sites of stinkhorns or collection sites of Leptopilina, please
contact me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Bart Pannebakker

Bart A. Pannebakker
Institute for Evolutionary and Ecological Sciences,
Section of Animal Ecology / Section of Evolutionary Biology
P.O. Box 9516,  2300 RA Leiden,  The Netherlands
Tel. (+31) 71 527 4990  ; Fax (+31) 71 527 4900
Email: pannebakker at rulsfb.leidenuniv.nl
---