Mycorrhizal fungi and N-Fixation

Permacltur permacltur at aol.com
Wed May 17 12:34:19 EST 2000

Greetings:
	We have been having a discussion on the North American Fruit Explorers list
about mycorrhizal fungi.  One contributor claims that the fungi facilitated
transfer of Rhizobia from her bean plants to nearby tomatoes where they
noduated the roots.  She has had the tomatoes checked at a local university
which also said they were n-fixing nodules and was told, more or less:
 "Happens all the time."

	Yet no one in the know I've been able to contact believes this is possible.
While I am n ot quite that absolute, I am skeptical.  Does anyone on this
newsgroup have info that will dispell my skepticism?

Dan Hemenway
Barking Frogs Permaculture Center, Sparr Florida USA