Mycorrhizal fungi and N-Fixation

RushWayne rushwayne at aol.com
Sat May 20 18:29:58 EST 2000

Dan Hemenway wrote:
<< Greetings:
	We have been having a discussion on the North American Fruit Explorers list
about mycorrhizal fungi.  One contributor claims that the fungi facilitated
transfer of Rhizobia from her bean plants to nearby tomatoes where they
noduated the roots.  She has had the tomatoes checked at a local university
which also said they were n-fixing nodules and was told, more or less:
 "Happens all the time."

	Yet no one in the know I've been able to contact believes this is possible.
While I am n ot quite that absolute, I am skeptical.  Does anyone on this
newsgroup have info that will dispell my skepticism?

Dan Hemenway
Barking Frogs Permaculture Center, Sparr Florida USA >>
Seems like there's more than one question here:
Are the root nodules on the tomato really Rhizobial N-fixing nodules?
and
How did they get there?
Did a mycorrhizal fungus have anything to do with it?
Do the tomato roots show evidence of mycorrhizae?
It's an interesting observation, but there are a lot of unknowns.
--Rush
Visit my website at http://members.aol.com/Peroxyman/
for information on growing gourmet mushrooms without autoclaves or air
filtration using hydrogen peroxide to prevent contamination.