Untraceable fungal toxins

Elie Gendloff gendloff at mindspring.com
Sun May 21 06:17:05 EST 2000

There are other "mycotoxins".  Very common is aflatoxin, which is
common on field corn, peanuts, pecans, cotton and other crops during
hot, dry years.  Its presence in the food supply is tightly regulated
so it is virtually never present in lethal or carcinogenic doses in
food.  Aflatoxin causes hepatitis at high dosages and liver cancer at
low, especially chronic doses.  It can be detected at very low
concentrations and it can also be detected in the tissues (protein and
DNA) of people that have been dosed with it.

There are aflatoxin precursors - sterigmatocystin and others, also
detectable.

There are also the trichothecene mycotoxins, which are very toxic to
the GI tract.  There are many of these, and they are not generally
present at toxic doses in food, unless the food was very moldy. They
can also be detected.