Fugal flotation

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Thu May 25 12:11:25 EST 2000

In article <3aXAQP$im0 at bbs.life.nthu.edu.tw>,
  ChCHUNG.bbs at bbs.life.nthu.edu.tw (*Ð|@|P¨*¨î*s§i«H) wrote:
> Ingoldian aquatic hyphomycetes may be your target,
> and the chapter of freshwater fungi in the book 'Fungal Ecology'
> by Dix & Webster (Publ. Chapman & Hall, London) seems to be a good start.
> Good luck.
>
> ¡° ¤Þ–z¡mrad77 at eden.rutgers.edu (Russell Duncan)¡n¤§»Ê¨¥¡G
> > Does anyone know of any fungi that have floating ability. Or even aquatic
> > plant seeds that may float. I am looking at foatation as an adaptation to
> > aquatic environment. Any leads would be heplful.
> --
You might also check oolitic fungi, such as the two which comprise
Kombucha/Kambucha tea (along with two bacteria in a complex symbiosis).
I believe Paul Stamets wrote about these in an article in Mushroom, The
Journal of Wild Mushrooming 2-3 years ago.

The "mother" of Kombucha/Kambucha tends to float on the surface of the
cold tea, supported in part by gasses produced by the symbiosis.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.