truffler1635 at truffler1635 at
Sun Nov 26 18:43:26 EST 2000

I've been having trouble keying out a rather common, probably inedible,
but annoying fungus I come across on a regular basis.

Habitat is full canopy Douglas fir plantation of about 20 years old.

Soil is mostly soft, with leave and twig litter.

Mushrooms are abundant, yellow-brown, resembling Amanitas except none
have ever, to my knowledge, had any volval patches on top.And since they
are well-protected from direct rainfall, I'd kind of expect them to have
patches if they were Amanitas. OTOH, Amanita gemmata is a common, if not
frequent mushrooms in the stand.

The oddest thing about the mushroom is its distinctive base. _Always_ it
has an abuptly widening at ground level: but only there. The stem above
ground is the same diameter as far as I can tell from just above the base
to the cap. Cap can be anything from 1.5 inches to 4 inches in diameter.

The underground base looks like the bottom of a child's top, and is
seldom more than an inch deeper than the soil surface, becoming pointed
at the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Daniel B. Wheeler

Sent via