Characteristic soil smell?

Bruce A. Caldwell caldwelb at fsl.orst.edu
Tue Oct 3 17:59:21 EST 2000

The Perry information is a bit off; forest soils harbor tens of thousands to
millions actinomycetes per cubic centimeter!  In some ecomycorrhizal mats,
populations can reach several million per gram. The problem is that being
spore-formers, you can't distinguish which CFU came from hyphae and which came
from spores.

Bruce Caldwell
Forest Science
Oregon State University