Characteristic soil smell?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 5 17:27:11 EST 2000

In article <39D8E4F4.496FC4A at fsl.orst.edu>,
  "Bruce A. Caldwell" <caldwelb at fsl.orst.edu> wrote:
> The Perry information is a bit off; forest soils harbor tens of thousands to
> millions actinomycetes per cubic centimeter!  In some ecomycorrhizal mats,
> populations can reach several million per gram. The problem is that being
> spore-formers, you can't distinguish which CFU came from hyphae and which came
> from spores.
>
> Bruce Caldwell
> Forest Science
> Oregon State University

Oops, of course you are right Bruce (said truffler, backpedelling like
mad). I was actually talking about soil organisms such as copepods,
pseudoscorpions, millipededes, nematodes, etc. While the abundance of
actinomycete fungi is greater than I realized (any ideas how many species
those millions of ascos represent?), the work Dr. Perry was doing was on
mobile soil organisms rather than soil fungi.

I apologize to the group for the inadvertent bushism, and my dyspepsic
speech (or is that dyslexic speech and dyspepsic ulcer?).

BTW, it occurs to me that a good soil scientist or mycologists
specializing in soil fungi could _really_ increase the counts of
BioBlitzs, such as the recently held one at Champoeg Park. For those of
us still challenged by yesterday's unknown Cortinarius sps, such
knowledge may be _years_ away at a minimum!

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com