Help with Lepiota ID

Tryggvi_Emilsson at adlt.com Tryggvi_Emilsson at adlt.com
Thu Oct 5 17:27:20 EST 2000

Greetings,

Lately some mushrooms cropped up in the neighbor's yard, on wood chips (that may
be from outside the area, put down 2 years ago), under cedars. The buttons start
out chestnut brown and hard. As the pileus opens the brown crust cracks widely
and exposes the white tissue underneath. About 5 circles of "horns" form around
the cap, with upwards pointing crusty tips and white edges. Fully grown the caps
are 10-15 cm in diameter and broadly bell shaped. The stipe has a broad bulb at
the base and has a thin hollow volume. The annulus is attached on the lower edge
and opens upwards. Gills white and free. Spores white and dextrinoid.
(Reddish-brown with Melzer's reagent)This is a handsme and striking looking
fungus, but I can't find it in any of my field guides. Any suggestions are
appreciated.
Thanks,

Tryggvi Emilsson
Urbana, Illinois