Time for Chantrelle Recipies

Darvin DeShazer muscaria at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 7 19:09:01 EST 2000

In article <39ddbf3f.51186275 at news.uswest.net>, pinotguy at uswest.net
wrote:

>Seems like a good time to post those Cream of Chantrelle Soup
>recipies, and other good ideas on what to do with twenty pounds of
>Chantrelles. I need this info, because I don't have any good ideas!

My favorite method of dealing with 20 pounds is to can them in pint jars
for the off season.  They keep for many years and retain texture.  They
do lose a little flavor, but are very convenient to add to sauces and
casseroles.  More methods can be found at:

http://www.metro.net/biologist/Forays/Keep/keep.html

  Can in a Pressure Cooker
Cook for 15 minutes without adding liquid  (you can sparingly add water
if you need to).  When they shrink down to about one-half their size,
pack hot in clean, hot jars.  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint, if you
like.  For white mushrooms add 1/8 teaspoon ascorbic acid to pints to
preserve whiteness.  Cover mushrooms with the cooking liquid for more
flavor or fresh boiling water for a clearer jar.  Adjust lids.  Process
at 10-15 lbs. pressure for 30 minutes for pints or halfpints.  Always
follow the directions for the pressure cooker!  Kerr and Ball both have
an excellent booklet on canning.

Darvin