Fungi fd. 10/8/2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 12 02:28:24 EST 2000

In article <pgpmoose.200010091818.15451 at net.bio.net>,
  truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
> Tentative identifications (some common names, sorry) for fungi fd. 10/8/
> 2000 at Tillamook County, OR, elevation 5-150 feet elevation:

Additional notes. Identifications taken (with one exception) from
Mushrooms of North America by Helen M.E. Schalkwijk-Barendsen. BTW, this
is rapidly becoming my favorite field guide. The illustrations are
magnificent, and even not when the illustrated specimens were found and
where! While I'm not very positive about water-color illustrations,
Helene has done a superb job, making this book easier to follow tham most
other field guides that I have. While it may not cover everything one is
likely to find in the PNW, it certainly is a good beginning!

> Tricholoma flavovirens (Man on Horseback) Choice edible
> Bone Polypore? (near Polyporus radicatus, but pure white, didn't get all of the root) near (not on) Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta
Dye Polypore (Phaeolus schweinitzii) near Western hemlock and Sitka
spruce
Berkley's Polypore (Bondarzewia montana)
> Fomes annosum on Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis)
> Agaricus subrufescens on or near Red alder (Alnus rubra)
> Ganoderma applanatum on Sitka spruce
> Polyporus badius (Black-footed Polypore) on conifer debris including
	Sitka spruce (Should be P. varius)
> Bondarzewia berkeleyi (Berkeley's Polypore) on Sitka spruce
> Hygrophoropsis aurantiacum (False chanterelle)
> Russula sps.
Russula nigricans (very old specimen)
> Russula brevipes symbiotic Sitka spruce
> Hypomyces lactifluorum on Russula brevipes (Lobster mushroom)
> Cortinarius sps., dark brown cap, viscid, 1.5" wide, purplish blush on
> stem (should be Cortinarius purpurascens)
> Dentinum umbillicatum YUM!
> off-white faded Russula, 3.5" diameter cap, _not_ R. brevipes (should be Russula albida)
Russula grisea with Sitka spruce
Russula subfoetens with Sitka spruce and Western hemlock
> pale lilac Russula, white stem, 2" diameter cap (Russula fragilis)
Russula emetica with Douglas fir
Inocybe sororia with Douglas fir and Red alder
Inocybe paludinella with Sitka spruce, Douglas fir, and Western hemlock