Fungus Foray _ Danbury, Essex, UK

Graham Orme grahamorme at supanet.com
Fri Oct 13 13:41:49 EST 2000

<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:8rdr3d$mvl$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...

(Snipped my announcement about a fungus foray)

> Thanks Graham. Any chance of posting what was discovered/uncovered for
> those of us who can't attend?
>
> BTW, be sure to check under beech trees for Tuber aestivum, which should
> still be out.

I don't think we covered more than about half a mile during the 2.5  hours
we were there. With twenty pairs of eyes looking, nothing went un-noticed.
As the foray was on a nature reserve, we only took the occasional specimen
to help with identification. Digging for truffles would have been frowned
upon.

The area was mixed woodland with a fair proportion of oaks and some areas of
open heathland.

This is what we found
Amanita rubescens
Amanita muscaria
Laccaria amethystea
Piptoporus betulinus
Pleurotus drynus
Sclerodrma citrinum
Armillaria mellea
Trichloma sulphureum
Macrolepiota gracilenta.

We also found Boletus edulis, but one of them was about 30 cm (12 inches)
diameter, which according to my book is too big for any of the Boletes.

There were lots of other amanitas, russulas and bracket fungi which we
couldn't identify with any certainty. It was a great way for a relative
beginner to learn a lot in a short space of time.

Graham Orme