Fungus Foray _ Danbury, Essex, UK

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sun Oct 15 14:23:21 EST 2000

In article <BKFF5.308362$TF4.2446449 at telenews.teleline.es>,
  "Graham Orme" <grahamorme at supanet.com> wrote:

> <truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
> news:8rdr3d$mvl$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
>
> (Snipped my announcement about a fungus foray)
>
> > Thanks Graham. Any chance of posting what was discovered/uncovered for
> > those of us who can't attend?
> >
> > BTW, be sure to check under beech trees for Tuber aestivum, which should
> > still be out.
>
> I don't think we covered more than about half a mile during the 2.5  hours
> we were there. With twenty pairs of eyes looking, nothing went un-noticed.
> As the foray was on a nature reserve, we only took the occasional specimen
> to help with identification. Digging for truffles would have been frowned
> upon.
Many mature truffles are actually partially eaten on by small animals. I
often find them in small, shallow excavations or pits. Sometimes,
truffles can also be found on top of the soil when the animal has been
disturbed, and runs away before finishing his meal. ;) I'm sure _I_ would
not do anything so crass (ooops, the nose is growing again).

> The area was mixed woodland with a fair proportion of oaks and some areas of
> open heathland.
>
> This is what we found
> Amanita rubescens
> Amanita muscaria
> Laccaria amethystea
> Piptoporus betulinus

Must have been some birch mixed in with the oak, huh?
> Pleurotus drynus
> Sclerodrma citrinum
> Armillaria mellea
> Trichloma sulphureum

Interesting find! Is this fairly common? I have found it only once.
> Macrolepiota gracilenta.
>
> We also found Boletus edulis, but one of them was about 30 cm (12 inches)
> diameter, which according to my book is too big for any of the Boletes.

It may be.

There are several other species which mimic B. edulis, at least locally.
I found one last year under Sitka spruce which weighed between 5 and 7
pounds, with a considerable girth. After keeping it for 2 days in order
to display it at the Mt. Pisquah Mushroom Show, the maggots had done
their recycling work, and the stem was barely able to support the rather
small cap. I think it was Dan Luoma who identified it as a species other
than B. edulis, though. Unfortunately, I forget which one he said it was.

> There were lots of other amanitas, russulas and bracket fungi which we
> couldn't identify with any certainty. It was a great way for a relative
> beginner to learn a lot in a short space of time.

Thanks for posting, Graham. The information on T. sulphureum was
especially interesting to me. Do you remember if it was found on rotting
wood or on the ground? The _only_ time I have found that species, it was
fruiting from a very large, very rotten log in an old-growth area. It was
so brilliant yellow that it looked like a spotlight. Kind of hard to
miss.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/