Fungus Foray _ Danbury, Essex, UK

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 10:00:24 EST 2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <BKFF5.308362$TF4.2446449 at telenews.teleline.es>,
>   "Graham Orme" <grahamorme at supanet.com> wrote:
> >
> > <truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > news:8rdr3d$mvl$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> >
> > (Snipped my announcement about a fungus foray)

Big snip...
 > The area was mixed woodland with a fair proportion of oaks and some
areas of
> > open heathland.
> >
> > This is what we found
> > Amanita rubescens
> > Amanita muscaria
> > Laccaria amethystea
> > Piptoporus betulinus
>
> Must have been some birch mixed in with the oak, huh?
I was not involved, but in the UK birch is the first tree species
to grow in a cleared area, and there is almost always some around
in any woodland.
> > Pleurotus drynus
> > Sclerodrma citrinum
> > Armillaria mellea
> > Trichloma sulphureum
>
> Interesting find! Is this fairly common? I have found it only once.

T. Sulphureum is not exactly uncommon in the south of England. I have
seen it once this year already. It generally grows in the soil.

> > Macrolepiota gracilenta.
> >
> > We also found Boletus edulis, but one of them was about 30 cm (12 inches)
> > diameter, which according to my book is too big for any of the Boletes.
> >
> It may be.
Remember that fungi cannot read the books, and therefore sometimes
behave in non-standard ways:-)

> There are several other species which mimic B. edulis, at least locally.
> I found one last year under Sitka spruce which weighed between 5 and 7
> pounds, with a considerable girth. After keeping it for 2 days in order
> to display it at the Mt. Pisquah Mushroom Show, the maggots had done
> their recycling work, and the stem was barely able to support the rather
> small cap. I think it was Dan Luoma who identified it as a species other
> than B. edulis, though. Unfortunately, I forget which one he said it was.

If you buy Italian dried porcini the label always lists three Boletes
which are difficult to distinguish, either from the original specimen
or from analysis by oil, heat and hydrochloric acid (:_) ).
Likewise, without trekking down to the College library, I cannot
remember the other two. B. Edulis of course has a pale rim to the
cap, the others don't. Identification in the books is done by
looking at the surface of the stipe.

> > There were lots of other amanitas, russulas and bracket fungi which we
> > couldn't identify with any certainty. It was a great way for a relative
> > beginner to learn a lot in a short space of time.
> >
> Thanks for posting, Graham. The information on T. sulphureum was
> especially interesting to me. Do you remember if it was found on rotting
> wood or on the ground? The _only_ time I have found that species, it was
> fruiting from a very large, very rotten log in an old-growth area.

I have often found species normally growing on the ground on an old
rotten log. Of course the log will eventually turn to soil. It is
worthy of note that one of the questions in Prof Moser's key is
'Growing on _or_around_ wood'.
> It was
> so brilliant yellow that it looked like a spotlight. Kind of hard to
> miss.

To fungus fans yes. I know people who have never seen Amanita
Muscaria and don't realize it is a fairly common Mushroom!

Edwin Hutton