Some beginner's questions...

k_bob at my-deja.com k_bob at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 19 08:31:19 EST 2000

I'm a beginner in this field and was hoping somebody could answer some
questions that I have. I live in England.

I have recently bought the Collins Field Guide by Courtecuisse&Duhem.
Why can't I find Chicken-of-the-woods (Laetiporus Sulphireus) in
Courtecuisse? Is this species the same as Hen-of-the-woods (Grifola
Frondosa)? Similarly with the Cauliflower Fungus (Sparassis Crispa);
does this species have another name? Is it common for species to have
more than one Latin name?

When describing gills, what is the difference between 'adnate' and
'free'?

I found a 'new' species yesterday which I'm pretty confident is a
Russula. I also have a 'Green Guide' book showing just 150 species.
>From this I would identify it as a Russula Atropurpurea (Black-and-
purple Russula) but this species is not in Courtecuisse. Instead there
is a whole sub-sect called Atropurpureae, none of which seems quite
right. The smaller ones were domed and the larger ones had the classic
Russula funnel shape. About as tall as they were broad. White Stipe
covered in vertical 'scars', felt firm but inside was moist and crisp
when squashed. White gills ran straight from edge of cap then stopped
neatly at top of stipe. A few gills started at edge of cap but stopped
before reaching the stem but most were complete. Spores looked very
pale. Cap thick and firm. Deep pink with darker (black?) centre. One
very wet example had had its colour leached out and was a pale pink.
They were growing over several square meteres of ground on grass under
an oak. Any ideas on how to pin down the ID on this one?

Thanks for any help, ideas or advise.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.