mushroom biology

psilkworm dejamyass at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 19 16:23:26 EST 2000

I need a detailed introduction to the life cycle and biology of
mushrooms.  Specifically, I have noticed that some mushroom species
like eating wood, and others like to eat grains/cow poop.  Are these
two separate classifications of fungus some kind of scientific
difference?  or is it arbitrary?  Do mushrooms like to eat all
different kinds of things equally, or are these two classes I mentioned
the general rule.  Is there a name for these two classes of mushrooms?
Now, once I figure that stuff out, I need to learn how mushrooms live.
What do they consume and excrete on a chemical level?  What are their
metabolic and respiratory processes.  If these processes change at
different stages of the life-cycle(mycellial colonization/fruiting),
then what are those changes?  Where is a resource online or in print
that contains answers (in laymans terms) to all of these questions?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.