Some beginner's questions...

Paul F Hamlyn Paul at NO-SPAMfungus.org.uk
Thu Oct 19 16:23:33 EST 2000

'Chicken-of-the-woods' is not the same as 'Hen-of-the-woods'. In fact
Laetiporus sulphureus does appear in the Collins Field Guide by Courtecuisse
&Duhem on page 59 in the 2nd part of Key 3. In a small field guide like this
you cannot expect to find a colour picture for all the 3000 odd species of
larger fungi found in the UK.

For a beginner I would recommend Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain
and Europe by Roger Phillips (Pan Books). There are many species of fungi
and it can seem very confusing at first so the best advice I can give you is
to join your nearest fungus recording group and go out with experts who can
help you to recognise the main groups (i.e. genera) of fungi. Once you can
assign an unknown fungus to the correct genus then it is much easier to work
out what the species is. I have set up a new Web site at
<http://fungus.org.uk/> which includes links to a number of fungus recording
groups in the UK - you should be able to find one within about 50 miles from
you. My own local group, North West Fungus Group, only charges £5 for
membership.

>When describing gills, what is the difference between 'adnate' and 'free'?

Free - gills not attached to the stem (cap and stem easily separated)
Adnate - gills fully attached to stem

Hope this helps

Paul F Hamlyn
NW Fungus Group