Some beginner's questions...

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Fri Oct 20 07:06:29 EST 2000

Paul F Hamlyn wrote:

> 'Chicken-of-the-woods' is not the same as 'Hen-of-the-woods'. In fact
> Laetiporus sulphureus does appear in the Collins Field Guide by Courtecuisse
> &Duhem on page 59 in the 2nd part of Key 3. In a small field guide like this
> you cannot expect to find a colour picture for all the 3000 odd species of
> larger fungi found in the UK.

There is at least one more fungus difficult to find in Courtecuisse
and Duhem, viz. Giant Puffball (Langermannia Gigantea). It is
mentioned in the intrduction somewhere but not in the illustrated
section. I wonder if there are any more?

Russula Atropurpurea is a very variable mushroom. I always have to
taste them to be sure, it as sharp but not very much compared to
the other sharp tasting russulae. Use the key to
check on your russulae. I haven't my copy of the book to hand at
present but I would be surprised if that one was missing.
There is a _section_ Atropurpureae as you say,
this is part of the standard classification.

> For a beginner I would recommend Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain
> and Europe by Roger Phillips (Pan Books).

This is almost essential - although you won't want to carry it about
with you. Unfortunately far from complete (only 900 species, being
the ones he had specimens to photograph). A beautiful book.

Edwin Hutton