Fungi fd. 10/21/2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sun Oct 22 06:40:40 EST 2000

Today's harvest of fascinating fungi from forests of the PNW:

Gomphidius subroseus
Chroogomphus tomintosus
Tricholoma magnilevare
Leucogaster (poss. rubescens?) (Has a yummy smell: cherry, lime, coconut
all blended together in sort of a truffle daquiri)
Gastroboletus turbinatus
Cantharellus subalbidus
Hebeloma mesenterica
Hebeloma crustuliniforme
Amanita buttons
Amanita gemmata
Gomphus floccosus
Rhizopogons (several species, collected from mostly under pines such as
Lodgepole, Whitebark, White, and Ponderosa; but also from Douglas fir and
possibly Western larch; one gigantic collection (for me, any Rhizopogon
over 3" diameter is gigantic) under old-growth Douglas fir with Western
hemlock, found peaking through the litter deposited by recent rains in a
small gully.
Truncocolumella citrina (some of them quite large: 2" diameter)
Many different species of Cortinarius in various hues, only one keys out
easily to C. glaucopes
Puffballs
Lycoperdon sps.
Boletopsis subsquamosus (Kurotake)
Laetiporus sulphureus

All in all, not a bad day's collecting, considering the site I wanted to
go to had 4 inches of snow this morning, but was nearly gone by
afternoon. I was just getting ready to leave when I looked across the
road at the base of a largish Douglas fir and saw...matsutake! Only found
3 of these today (one of which looks too much like an Amanita to try,
although the distinctive aroma is faintly present).

Looks like a lot of material for the display tables at the OMS show
tomorrow.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/