Cantharellus

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sun Oct 22 06:40:41 EST 2000

In article <20001021163953.22109.00000961 at ng-fy1.aol.com>,
  bobmcnaught at aol.com (BobMcNaught) wrote:
> Hello,
> while we're at it, I also came across the pure yellow form of cantharellus
> tubaeformis (infundibiblioetc - my mushroom books are confused as to the proper
> name of what we call trumpets, or simply 'cantharellus' to distingusish from
> chanterelle, cornucopidea, etc )
> Anyway, all of my books bar one do not mention this variety yet it is
> strikingly beautiful.  The colour of the stalk is carried though to the gill
> like things and the cap such that the whole fungus is uniform in colour.  The
> clump is now reaching maturity mixed round the roots of a mature (oak/beech)
> tree.   How rare is this ?

I've never seen it before. But then, I never hunt in your area either.

Is it possible it is one of the rare Cantharellus cibarius with hollow
stems? I have been intimating that C. formosus with hollow stems is a
separate species for several years now. Certain a Lentinula edodes with a
hollow stem would have to be considered a separate species. But there is
resistance among local mycologists as to what charateristics actually
constitute a separate species. Obviously, being able to cultivate one of
these would be a tremendous improvement.

Back on topic, Eric Danell indicated that C. cibarius is found only in
Scandinavia, where Fries collected it last century (or is that two
centuries ago, now?). Eric also mentioned that his access to European
material was seriously limited, so the criteria was based on only a few
specimens from Netherlands, France, Sweden, Norway, and several locations
in America.

Could C. cibarius have jumped the channel to England several centuries
ago? I'm afraid this is a question for Eric and other DNA-comparing
mycologists.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/