Satans Bolete

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 23 11:04:41 EST 2000

BobMcNaught wrote:

> Hello,
> I have come across a specimen of Boletus Satanus in the New Forest (Hampshire
> England).  It is described as very rare in my mushroom books so I thought that
> someone else may be interested.
>
> It is small, being about 4 inches across (10 cm) with a dirty chalky cap
> (somewhat eaten but unchanging) and a red swollen stem that goes yellowish near
> the top.   Growing amongst beech and oak.  The white cap is the giveaway and I
> recognised it instantly!  I have not examined the underside, etc, but simply
> took some photos (which is what I had been doning all afternoon).

If you have not examined the underside you could have seen a
Boletus Albidus, which has yellow pores instead of the red pores
of Boletus Satanus. B. Albidus is not poisonous but is incredibly
bitter with a long lasting after-taste. It is also far from rare.

The red stem may be enough in your case to identify the mushroom,
I hope it was as it is always exciting to find a rare species.
In that connection Wakehurst Place (Sussex) has two sites with
a good showing of Cortinarius Violaceus this autumn - very good
specimens.

It is nice to leave unusual or particularly beautiful carpophores
alone - carry a small mirror with you to look at the underside.
I saw my first Amanita Phalloides of this autumn yersterday, but
had to very gently excavate round the base the see the volva;
always carry a knife or two as well (it is useful for cleaning up
edibles as well).

> It is growing beside a rather well trod path such that it may be kicked over by
> some myceliophobe.
>
> I wold be happy to escort any interested individuals to its location only on
> the understanding that the specimen is not harmed in any way.
>
> Dunno, but if anyone is interested then leave your phone number with
> bobmcnaught at aol.com and I will phone you.  Sunday (tomorrow) is the only day
> 'cos I have to go to work and it then get dark.

and by next week it will be all white and horrible....

Edwin Hutton