white rot fungus

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 1 10:05:49 EST 2000

In article <20000830101001.16822.00000166 at nso-cp.aol.com>,
  aruncus at aol.com (Aruncus) wrote:
> Is there any way to stop this fungus from spreading ?  We have a cabin that has
> had a somewhat leaky roof at times, and there is white rot in sections of some
> of the  boards along the peak.  Will the rot spread to other boards that  are
> structurally solid at this time ? or will it stay in those areas that have been
> moist and then dried ?  Is there any way to arrest it once it is established ?
> Is there any way to treat the wood to  make it structurally solid if only a
> small  portion of the board has the rot ?  I would be very interested in your
> knowledge and experience.  Thanks, Kevin

It's hard to know from your post which of the hundreds of species which
comprise white wood-rotting fungi this is. You don't say, for example,
what species of wood the fungus is growing on.

However, there are some fairly easy things you can do now to help prevent
future flair-ups.

The first is to mix one part bleach with 9 parts water. Apply this to the
visibly affected areas. This weak bleach solution will kill most fungi on
contact, and is used to control competitor fungi in mushroom growing
rooms.

Unless you kill all the fungi, especially on those sites where new board
are to be put, the fungus will probably spread to the new boards also.
How to prevent: seal the boards before installing them. Use either a
shellac or paint. Fungus _must_ have some source of moisture or water in
order to exist.

That said, you also may need to assess whether it is safe to work on the
roof, if the major supports are infected.

Applying bleach solution to the exterior of the logs is _not_ going to
affect the interior of the log much. If there has been much water
seepage, the interior of the log may also have been affected, or the log
may have absorbed considerable water content, and allow the fungus to
continue to spread.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/