shiitake substrate

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Thu Sep 7 01:53:14 EST 2000

In article <8p4d6o$qot$1 at solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
  "Colin Mitchell Beier" <cbeier at vt.edu> wrote:
> a brief note..
>
> shitakes are linaria spp. and they are white spored agarics, hence they are
> obligate mycorrhizal symbionts with pines, alders and Fagaceae spp. such as
> oaks, beech, etc.  it might explain their preference for these substrates.
> maybe not?

I have never heard of shiitake (shiia-tree mushroom) being mycorrhizal.
To my knowledge, it is a saprophyte growing by degrading cellulose,
hemicellulose and lignin
> does anyone have an opinion on this?  i know that we arent talking about
> mycorrhizae, but it seems interesting.

Mycorrhizal fungi are completely different. They associate with roots
(mycor-rhizal means root-fungus), and typically form symbiotic
relationships with their host plants. They gather water and nutrients for
their hosts, while extracting some complex sugars in return.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

> Paul Sinclair Stewart <abiogen at isn.net> wrote in message
> news:3.0.3.16.20000830204123.23af9ec2 at mailer.isn.net...
> > In a Department of Agriculture trial here on Prince Edward Island, Canada
> about 15 years ago, alder, poplar, and birch worked well, in descending
> order of yield. Overall, poplar was the fastest to inoculate, with moderate
> yields within 6 months.
> > Paul S. Stewart  c/o ABIOGEN AGRI-FOOD SERVICES
> > Marshfield Manse, RR #3 Charlottetown,
> > Prince Edward Island, CANADA   C1A 7J7
> > Tel: (902) 566-4078 email:  abiogen at isn.net
> > "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.