shiitake substrate

truffler1635 at truffler1635 at
Thu Sep 7 01:53:14 EST 2000

In article <8p4d6o$qot$1 at>,
  "Colin Mitchell Beier" <cbeier at> wrote:
> a brief note..
> shitakes are linaria spp. and they are white spored agarics, hence they are
> obligate mycorrhizal symbionts with pines, alders and Fagaceae spp. such as
> oaks, beech, etc.  it might explain their preference for these substrates.
> maybe not?
I have never heard of shiitake (shiia-tree mushroom) being mycorrhizal.
To my knowledge, it is a saprophyte growing by degrading cellulose,
hemicellulose and lignin
> does anyone have an opinion on this?  i know that we arent talking about
> mycorrhizae, but it seems interesting.
Mycorrhizal fungi are completely different. They associate with roots
(mycor-rhizal means root-fungus), and typically form symbiotic
relationships with their host plants. They gather water and nutrients for
their hosts, while extracting some complex sugars in return.

Daniel B. Wheeler