shiitake substrate

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 8 13:03:19 EST 2000

In article <8p9nki$mbo$1 at solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
  "Colin Mitchell Beier" <cbeier at vt.edu> wrote:
> yea, i know all about mycorrhizae.  i got confused, like i said, by
> FAMILIES, which led me to believe
> an incorrect strategy for shitakes.  i thought they were Amanitacea, but
> they are, alas, Lepiotaceae, which
> are pretty much all decomposers.  Amanitaceae members, for the most part,
> are obligate mycorrhizals, and
> the sole purpose of my post was moot since i had the wrong family.  sorry.
>
> i really do understand quite a bit about the physiology and ecology of
> fungi, especially as they relate to plants
> my serious deficiencies, obviously, are in the taxonomy department, and i
> promise to keep my mouth shut until
> i have checked my info.  thanks
>
> cmb

Please don't keep your opinions to yourself, Colin. We're all in this
together, and I think most of us are still in a learning curve. With
several thousand fungi to learn about, I think that's going to be a
lifetime-learning experience, at least for me.

I didn't mean to jump on you and apologize if it sounds that way. But one
of the first things that should be established (and hasn't been very
well) is whether a fungus is mycorrhizal or parasitic or saprophytic.
Some fungi, like Armillariella oystoyae may even be all three, depending
on its life cycle. Scary.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/