Taxonomy and opinions (Was Re: shiitake substrate)

Nathan Wilson velosa at cinenet.net
Fri Sep 8 14:11:50 EST 2000

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> Please don't keep your opinions to yourself, Colin. We're all in this
> together, and I think most of us are still in a learning curve. With
> several thousand fungi to learn about, I think that's going to be a
> lifetime-learning experience, at least for me.

Hear, hear.

And as for getting the taxonomy correct, don't worry about it too much.
Much of fungi taxonomy is a moving target.  The most important thing is
to make sure that people will understand what you mean when you use a
name.  Also don't correct a name unless you studied the group reasonably
recently.  Of course even the old hands will occasionally make a typo
or use an old name.

BTW, Daniel, didn't you mean Armillaria ostoyae rather than Armillariella
oystoyae?  :)

Enjoy!
-Nathan