West Coast Chanterelles (Was Re: Taxonomy and opinions)

Nathan Wilson velosa at cinenet.net
Mon Sep 11 15:08:40 EST 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> Unfortunately, Eric Danell's research *proved* that C. cibarius is a
> strictly European species, meaning the name C. formosus becomes the next
> best alternative. I think this originated in Singer, but I'm not
> positive. Any suggestions out there?

According to Agaricales of California, C. formosus was published by Corner
in 1966 for a collection made in British Columbia.

> It _is_ good eating. But it is harder to clean than matsutake growing in
> sand.

That's also really interesting.  In the Northern California coast it
almost always grows on moss covered logs and is so pristine clean you can
pretty much thow them straight in the frying pan.  I'm reminded of the
live oak C. "cibarius" (dirty) compared to the ones I've collected in
Arizona (pristine).  Not really a feature I'd include in a species
description, but an interesting factoid.

As for putting names on these different forms/varieties/species, we should
start with some good descriptions and 'publish' them on the web with
photos and make up some names for the species we thing are good.  We
should also start collecting the original descriptions for the species
and forms that have already been described.  I'd actually like to start
putting the latin descriptions on the web (with at least English
translations).  I'm pretty sure there is no copyright issue with
publishing the original latin descriptions.

Enjoy!
-Nathan