West Coast Chanterelles (Was Re: Taxonomy and opinions)

Thom O'Dell odellt at fsl.orst.edu
Wed Sep 13 03:20:31 EST 2000

Dan,
Can you provide a reference for this name, we have an active research
program on the western chanterelles but have not found any publication
regarding C. aurora-borealis (shouldnt it be arora-borealis if it is named
after David?).
BTW there are at least 2 undescribed species of chanterelles in Oregon and
California. One is apparently an oak associate, the other is fairly large
and has as intensely colored pileus. The spruce associate that you mention
is probably C. cibarius var. roseocanus Rehead, Norvell and Danell. It
occurs with Picea engelmanii in the cascades as well as coastally (I have
found it as late as mid febuary at cape perpetua) and can be easily confused
with formosus when young as both can have pink hymenia. Mature C.c
roseocanus are typically orange on the hymenium. The bases for new species
(we will be publishing one of them next year, hopefully) are molecular data
(DNA sequences and population markers) as well as morphological. Clearly
there is a lot to do in straightening out the taxonomy of these important
fungi.

snip
> Cantharellus aurora-borealis is a more coastal variety/species. It is
> named for David Aurora. But it is also named for the distinctive various
> colors near the unfurling edge of the hymenium, which often in vinaceous
> or various colored: rose, bluish, sometimes even a greenish hint. The cap
> tends to be darker colored and more orangish brown than other
> chanterelles I've encountered. I have noted it _only_ near Sitka spruce
> in the immediate vicinity of the Pacific Ocean.

snip