West Coast Chanterelles (Was Re: Taxonomy and opinions)

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Sep 13 03:20:32 EST 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.1000911072021.13437B-
100000 at hollywood.cinenet.net>,
  Nathan Wilson <velosa at cinenet.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, Eric Danell's research *proved* that C. cibarius is a
> > strictly European species, meaning the name C. formosus becomes the next
> > best alternative. I think this originated in Singer, but I'm not
> > positive. Any suggestions out there?
>
> According to Agaricales of California, C. formosus was published by Corner
> in 1966 for a collection made in British Columbia.
>
> > It _is_ good eating. But it is harder to clean than matsutake growing in
> > sand.
>
> That's also really interesting.  In the Northern California coast it
> almost always grows on moss covered logs and is so pristine clean you can
> pretty much thow them straight in the frying pan.  I'm reminded of the
> live oak C. "cibarius" (dirty) compared to the ones I've collected in
> Arizona (pristine).  Not really a feature I'd include in a species
> description, but an interesting factoid.
>
> As for putting names on these different forms/varieties/species, we should
> start with some good descriptions and 'publish' them on the web with
> photos and make up some names for the species we thing are good.  We
> should also start collecting the original descriptions for the species
> and forms that have already been described.  I'd actually like to start
> putting the latin descriptions on the web (with at least English
> translations).  I'm pretty sure there is no copyright issue with
> publishing the original latin descriptions.
>
> Enjoy!
> -Nathan

Sounds good to me, Nathan. If I can learn how to run my scanner, I should
be able to scan at least some of them in directly.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.