West Coast Chanterelles (Was Re: Taxonomy and opinions)

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Sep 13 15:50:44 EST 2000

In article <8pjp35$hhh$1 at news.NERO.NET>,
  "Thom O'Dell" <odellt at fsl.orst.edu> wrote:
> Dan,
> Can you provide a reference for this name, we have an active research
> program on the western chanterelles but have not found any publication
> regarding C. aurora-borealis (shouldnt it be arora-borealis if it is named
> after David?).
I believe my information came from Eric. I think he was speaking to OMS
about chanterelle cultivation and DNA analysis of west coast species. At
that time, most of the west-coast species were still unnamed.
> BTW there are at least 2 undescribed species of chanterelles in Oregon and
> California. One is apparently an oak associate, the other is fairly large
> and has as intensely colored pileus.
I have also heard of the oak chanterelle, but have never actually seen it
myself. This is somewhat unusual, as I have 40 acres of mostly Oregon
White oak myself. But then, I've never found the oak morel that is also
sometimes found with Oregon White oak.

 The spruce associate that you mention
> is probably C. cibarius var. roseocanus Rehead, Norvell and Danell.
Thanks Thom! But something seems out of place here. The last time I spoke
to Eric (several years ago, before he went back) he said the west coast
species was probably not related to C. cibarius found in Europe and
collected by Fries.
 It
> occurs with Picea engelmanii in the cascades as well as coastally (I have
> found it as late as mid febuary at cape perpetua) and can be easily confused
> with formosus when young as both can have pink hymenia.
That too is interesting. I often forage near Little Crater Lake in the
Cascades, one of the few places were P. engelmanii is found, and have
found chanterelles there only once.

But the species I collect near Cape Lookout has a distinctive multiple-
colored unfurled caps: usually a combination peach, yellow, red, and
bluish tints from a pileus that I would describe as peach-colored. These
colored areas take up a very small portion of the unfurled cap. The
affected are of multiple colors is seldom more than 1/4 inch wide, and
more frequently 1/8 inch or less wide.
 Mature C.c
> roseocanus are typically orange on the hymenium. The bases for new species
> (we will be publishing one of them next year, hopefully) are molecular data
> (DNA sequences and population markers) as well as morphological. Clearly
> there is a lot to do in straightening out the taxonomy of these important
> fungi.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/