West Coast Chanterelles (Was Re: Taxonomy and opinions)

Nathan Wilson velosa at cinenet.net
Thu Sep 14 01:39:41 EST 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Thom O'Dell wrote:

> BTW there are at least 2 undescribed species of chanterelles in Oregon and
> California. One is apparently an oak associate, the other is fairly large
> and has as intensely colored pileus.

Do you know if this is associated with one of the 'live' oaks (Quercus
agrifolia or close relatives) or a broad leaf deciduous oak (White oak,
black oak).  My experience in California is that Cantharellus only occurs
under the live oaks and not under the broad leaf species.  I've actually
only rarely found mushrooms under broad leaf oaks.

> The spruce associate that you mention
> is probably C. cibarius var. roseocanus Rehead, Norvell and Danell. It
> occurs with Picea engelmanii in the cascades as well as coastally (I have
> found it as late as mid febuary at cape perpetua) and can be easily confused
> with formosus when young as both can have pink hymenia. Mature C.c
> roseocanus are typically orange on the hymenium. The bases for new species
> (we will be publishing one of them next year, hopefully) are molecular data
> (DNA sequences and population markers) as well as morphological. Clearly
> there is a lot to do in straightening out the taxonomy of these important
> fungi.

Do you know if any of the collections being studied have come from
California or from live oak forests?

Thanks for the info!
-Nathan