Giant Puffball Cultivation

Colin Davidson c.davidson at biotech.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 14 09:30:21 EST 2000

<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:8poc76$1jc$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...

> It is perhaps as important to have a source of fresh spores stored away
> from direct UV light. Good luck on the agar cultivation, though.

Thanks. Yeah, I actually plan to keep any spare spores (assuming I end up
with any) in a 20% glycerol suspension in the freezer. I've found in the
past that this works pretty well with spores of most organisms.

> BTW, parasol or Lepiota sps. usually take a compost pile or leave pile to
> get established. In my area, Thatcher ants collect tiny Douglas fir twigs
> and spend needles to create large mounds of debris, which they then grow
> Lepiota rhachoides on. Sometimes a Cordyceps or disease attacks these ant
> mounds, and cause the ants to die. Shortly thereafter there are major
> fruitings of Lepiota rhacoides!

That's really interesting. Yes, now you mention it, where I've found
parasols and giant puffballs close together it has been right by old piles
of grass clippings, and my biggest hauls of L. rhacoides have always been
under trees with lots of organis matter on the ground.