West Coast Chanterelles (Was Re: Taxonomy and opinions)

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Tue Sep 19 12:34:14 EST 2000

In article <39c5fd30.3516298 at news.uniserve.com>,
  CaptainMaxMushroom at webcity.ca wrote:
> According to a friend of mine, BC mycologist Paul Kroeger, DNA
> sequencing was done several years ago on Chanterelles inthe Nass
> Valley. Tests proved the variet as fomosa, not cibarius as often
> thought. Subsequent tests on Chantys up and down the BC coast had the
> same results.

I'm pretty sure that was the research done by Eric Danell, the man who
confirmed what we had been calling Golden chanterelles, or Cantharellus
cibarius was not the same thing as originally described by Linnaeus Fries
in Scandinavia. Danell had access to the original collections at the (I
think) University of Upsala in Sweden. Oddly, not only did the Pacific
Coast variety vary considerably, but also other European species, also
considered  C. cibarius previously.

But what _really_ blew me away listening to Eric speak at the North
American Truffling Society, was the fruiting of C. cibarius with Pinus
seedlings within 14 months! Astounding when Pinus was previously unknown
to associate with Pinus sps.

But the proof is in the growing. And I'm glad Eric spent so much time and
energy pursuing that research.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com