IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Meltzer's reagent

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 03:10:28 EST 2000

>I am trying to create my own Meltzer's reagent. Unfortunately, chloral
>hydrate is a controlled substance, and requires a DEA permit to
>purchase it (from Sigma, for example). Is there a way for an amateur
>mycologist to get it? Are there alternatives?

Chloral hydrate is a VERY controlled substance, and for very good reason.  No,
there is no way the DEA and/or FDC will allow an amateur mycologist to acquire
or possess it.  No, there is no alternative ingredient.

Why make your own Melzer's, though?  If you are a *serious* amateur mycologist
with a good microscope, all you need do is make friends with a professional
mycologist who uses the stuff; they have access to it.
David W. Fischer
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
   "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Website: http://members.aol.com/mycology

More information about the Mycology mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net