Characteristic soil smell?

Kate Orman korman at
Tue Sep 26 10:05:42 EST 2000

I hope you'll forgive this intrusion - I'm a science fiction writer and a
former microbiology student, racking my brains to remember something one
of my lecturers once said! Apparently there's a particular soil microbe
which gives soil its characteristic smell. I'd like to mention it in a
story I'm writing, but I can't remember the organism's name for the life
of me, and my research hasn't turned it up. I'd be most grateful for any

Kate Blum Orman <korman at>
"I have no idea what that meant." - Dot Warner