Oldest fungus?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Sep 27 14:58:47 EST 2000

In article <39d1353c.49749417 at news.uniserve.com>,
  CaptainMaxMushroom at webcity.ca wrote:
> I think the aspen thing may have been proven, I  think I read  it
> somewhere's reliable.

You may be right and it's certainly possible. But I have yet to read
about any DNA testing throughout any aspen stand. That is the _only_
reliable test I am aware of, capable of distinguishing scions from
seedlings. In order to verify a complete aspen stand, it would be
necessary to test _all_ trees within the stand. That is very expensive,
and has _not_ been done to my knowledge.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com