BioBlitz 2000 results

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sat Sep 30 05:13:40 EST 2000

>From NATS Current News comes the following information about the June 16-
17, 2000 BIOBLITZ, held at Champoeg State Park:

FUN!!! describes BioBlitz 2000, held June 16-17, 2000 at Champoeg State
Heritage Park, 3:00 pm on Friday to 3:00 pm on Saturday. This was the
first census of biodiversity conducted west of the Mississippi. About 90
enthusiastic professional and amateur scientists and volunteers,
representing many fields of the scientific world, combed the 615 acre
site to count as many species as possbiel during the 24-hour period.
Champoeg is a wonderfully diverse site, with upland meadows, wet meadows,
oak savahhan, ash swales, second growth Douglas-fir, 3 1/2 miles of
Willamette River shoreline, and three perennial creeks.
	This non-profit event was sponsored by the Champoeg State Heritage
Park, Pacific Habitat Services, Inc., Restoration and Mitigation
Contractors, and Native Vegetation Consultants, based in Wilsonville, OR.
Nature Northwest provided excellent meals, snacks and beverages for the
24 hour period. The weather was beautiful, which made volunteers happy.
Camping facilities were great, as was the evening campfire gathering.
	The official species count stands at 836. Birders turned in 564
sightings, with four of these being new to the park. A special treat was
seeing Werstern bluebirds nesting in the park, a project of Dennis Wiley,
park manager. Many volunteers were treated to seeing a skunk with her
young family, the very yoiung all dutifully following mother along, until
the first in line stumbled and fell and the others fell in a jumble of
small black and white bodies. Many volunteers were up all night observing
and recording night life, and all volunteers have their favorite stores
and sightings to report. It was a truly fun event.
	NATS was well represented, and thanks go to Adrian Beyerle, Bob
Brittain, Welles Bushnell, Genie Coleman, Frank Evans, John and Pat
Rawlinson, Dan Wheeler, and Katzu Young. Twelve truffle species were
collected over the 24 hour  period. Of course, everyone helped everyone
else whereever possible, so not only did we truffle, we collected
mushrooms, recorded birds, wildflowers, insects, fish and nay other
species along our path. We all agreed it was a fantastic experience.
	A listing of all 836 species will be forthcoming. Details on how to
obtain the list will be published in the newsletter when the information
is made available.
	A special THANK YOU to Dennis Wiley, Champoeg State Heritage Park,
and Dale Shank, Pacific Habitat Services, Inc. for sponsoring this
successful event.

Posted as a courtesy by
Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com