Name 0.6 is now available

Nathan Wilson velosa at cinenet.net
Sat Sep 30 05:13:40 EST 2000

The application is at:

http://collectivesource.com/taxy/Name.sit.hqx

and the source is at:

http://collectivesource.com/taxy/NameSrc.sit.hqx

I am very excited about this release of Name as it is the first version
that has real support for non-technical folks to extend the database.  The
database is extended through a simple text file rather than a GUI, but
that made it a lot quicker to code and I think it will also make it easier
for people to send around any further extensions they create via email.

I must thank Darvin DeShazer for inspiring me to get this done by wishing
for the higher level taxa.  The new database has many higher level taxa,
but there are more to add.  The missing ones can be found by running the
new Indirect Parents report.  It would be wonderful if someone would
generate the reset of the higher level taxa using the dictionary of fungi.

Here's what's new from the README file:

0.6:
Now reads the ASCII Extension Format which allows for easy addition of new
names and renaming of old names.

Now has database reports that describe a particular taxon, lists any
orphaned names and lists any names whose accepted parent is more than one
level away.

The database has been extended to include many of the higher level taxa
for the genera in old database.  This process is not yet complete and I'm
hoping that others will volunteer to do this work.

I am getting married tomorrow and will be taking off for Italy for the
following two weeks.  I will answer any email when I return.

Enjoy!
-Nathan

---