paperproducts as growing medium

Tiina Schreck sales at bonk.fi
Tue Apr 3 15:21:50 EST 2001

anyone experienced in this field?
the things that puzzle my mind are the sentences in Stamets' growing
gourmet and mm...-book that advice the persons concidering their use
(newspapers) to check are they printed using soybased inks; is this only
a 'theoretical' -ethic- advice to ensure the cultivator the use of
eco-sertificates.
(pardon my terminology)
or; is there a threat of producing fruitbodies not recommendable for
consumption? ie. do carbon (to my understanding, this is the
alternative) and the metals in colourpigments leech into the mushrooms
causing undesireable high levels of them?
what about cardboard? any problems with this?
these questions have been in my mind for a long time and as i came to
conclusion that reishi could be grown utilising paperwaste (GGMM, not
franckly said in one sentence, but...), i would like to delve into the
field and try it out... so; input here needed too...

heikki ryynänen
makmeek at hotmail.com

---