Pedro Claro bellatrix at
Mon Apr 30 17:06:55 EST 2001

"EJHutton" <e.hutton at> escreveu na mensagem
news:3AE949EA.32393BC6 at
> Cathemo7178 at wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I have some of what i believe are mushrooms of some kind that keep
coming up
> > in my bark chips around my bushes and i dont know what they
are.....maybe u
> > could help me..
> >
> > They are round like the size of a tennis ball and have holes all around
> > and have alot of orange on them.......and stink very badly!!!!
> >
> > If u know what these are could u email me and let us know...never seen
> > before.....Pheweeeeeeeeeeeee!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Cathy
> >
> > ---
> They sound like CLATHRUS RUBER.
> As you say, smell foetid, unpleasant. Not edible, not poisonous.
> Occur on the ground in gardens and broadleaved woodlands.
> Look inside, they should be green to black (but take a gas mask first).
> In the UK are *rare*, occuring mainly in the south, probably
> an inport from southern Europe. I seem to remember a comment
> somewhere that they are of Australian descent.
> You don't say where you are in the world, if not in the UK
> they just could be something else, though they are very distinctive.
> --
> Edwin Hutton

Well, here in Portugal there was a profusion of C. ruber about a month ago.
It seem it's not so rare around here. But M. Jordan, in his "Encyclopedia of
Fungi of Britain and Europe" states it's rare in Britain and more common in
Mediterranean countries... I change C. ruber for any better smelling, good
edible northern species; interested?

By the way... why do all North European books (English included) state
Tricholoma flavovirens is poisonous? It's everyone's food around here, in
October and November...  Also, in French, Spanish, Italian and American
books and data, it is always stated T. flavovirens is edible. Can anyone
clarify this for me? Thanks.

Pedro Claro
Marinha Grande - Portugal