Are any mushrooms known to contain hydroxylamines?

John Chalmers jhchalme at chem.ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 16 02:33:16 EST 2001

Fortunately, "The dose makes the poison" and the fact that we have
livers and kidneys allows us to eat natural foods. Bruce Ames et al.
published some papers in PNAS in 1990 (and probably some more recently,
but I haven't looked) showing the types and quantities of carcinogenic
compounds in fruits and vegetables compared to pesticide residues.
Interestingly, not all natural hydrazine derivatives were carcinogenic.

I once gave an after-dinner talk about "Toxic Myths" and pointed out
that during my meal I had willingly consumed the carcinogens
estragole(in basil), hydrazines (raw and cooked mushrooms), alcohol,
chlorogenic acid, phenols, caffeine, in (coffee) glucosinolates
(crucifers like cabbage), polycyclic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic
relatives (roasted and fried meats),  etc. and wasn't especially worried
about them or the possible minute traces of synthetic chemicals that
might also be present.

I've collected Gyromitra, but was warned by a colleague not to try it
even parboiled or dried, so I so I didn't.

--John