MMH and DMH carcinogenicity

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Fri Aug 17 15:43:06 EST 2001

John Chalmers <jhchalme at chem.ucsd.edu> wrote in message news:<3B7B08AC.CD55ECAE at chem.ucsd.edu>...
> I understand the pass of time -- I've misremembered a number of things.
> Memory is a very active process of review and revision according to psychologists.
>
> Thank you for the references. I don't doubt that the hydrazine
> derivatives in Gyromitra are carcinogenic and mutagenic, but I was very
> dubious if tumors would develop in humans in a week.
>
> --John

Considering this was the early part of the Space Age, I'm not sure the
information would have been available to the public. Much data was
classified automatically if it had anything to do with space flight.

>From what little I *think* I remember, there were several different
forms of cancer involved. I'm not sure that more than 2 or 3 people
came down with the same forms of cancer: and there are a lot of them.
Also the DMH would have been in concentrated liquid form, which would
have vaporized extremely rapidly once exposed to air. If it took place
in FL or TX, vaporization could have been quite rapid. At any rate,
DMH was quickly removed from the experimental flight area.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com