Are any mushrooms known to contain hydroxylamines?

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Sat Aug 25 14:36:40 EST 2001

maxwatt2002 at yahoo.com (Max Watt) wrote in message news:<870a5d01.0108071536.4f29ed90 at posting.google.com>...
> dwheeler at ipns.com (Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote in message news:<6dafee1b.0108032016.11e67e25 at posting.google.com>...
> > maxwatt2002 at yahoo.com (Max Watt) wrote in message news:<870a5d01.0107300838.33be32b1 at posting.google.com>...
> > > Several mushrooms are known to contain hydrazine as side chains
> > > glycoproteins, which makes them moderately toxic.
> > >
> > > Are any mushrooms known similarly to contain hydroxylamines?  One
> > > might expect this to function as an anti-oxidant.
> >
> > I checked several references that I have, and couldn't find it at all
> > Max. Mushrooms by Hard, Chang and Hayes' The Biologcy and Cultivation
> > of Edible Mushrooms, and Benjamin's Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas
> > had no reference to hydrolamine at all.
> >
> > Is there a particular reason you would expect fungi to have this
> > chemical? Would it be specific to one group of fungi?
> >
> > Daniel B. Wheeler
> > www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
>
> Different fungi sometimes produce different, but related, substances,
> with small chemical differences.  Hydroxylamine is similar in it't
> nitrogen bond to hydrazine, or similar enough that it might be
> produced by a fungus, perhaps some Gyromitra.  Certain  hydroxylamines
> have recently been shown to be the active form of PBN (butyl phenyl
> nitrone) which has been shown to extend live span in rodents; some
> mushroms (Ling Chi, maitake) are thought by orientals to extend
> life-span.  Circumstantial?  The though crossed my mind perhaps these,
> or other mushrooms, contain some form of hydroxylamine.  I also seem
> to recall seeing an abstract, to the effect that a variety of pleurote
> had hydroxylamine side-chains on a glycoprotein, but I cannot find the
> abstract again.  So I am asking here.

I think I found more than one citation for you today.

Embedded within the article by Paul Stamets "Portobello and Crimini
inventions are paying off, so watch for Blanco Bellos" in Mushroom,
The Jounral of Wild Mushrooming, Issue 72, Vol. 19, No. 3, Summer
2001, p 5. This article is based on "...chapter 21, "Growth Parameters
of the Portobello Mushroom" from Growing Gourmet and medicinal
Mushrooms. Specifically, it speaks of hydrazines in Abaricus
brunnescens (crimini) and notes under "Medicinal Properties" the
following:

"This mushroom contains compounds that inhibit the enzyme aromatase.
Aromatase is associated with tumor growth. Compounds inhibiting
aromatase have potential for th treatment or prevention of breast
cancer. (Bankhead, 1999). A diet of mushrooms for mice with implanted
tumors showed a decrease in aromatase as mushroom consumption
increased. However, this report is in contradiction to other studies."

There is also a section on "Hydrazines, and one in particular:
Agaritine". You may already have access to "Growing Gourmet and
Medicinal Mushrooms". If not it is available from Stamets company,
Fungi Perfecti, which is on-line.