Kikuratake

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Fri Dec 14 04:27:50 EST 2001

drguez at syd.odn.ne.jp (Daniel Guez) wrote in message news:<3C17FE41.200F790F at syd.odn.ne.jp>...
> Japanese names are not different from Latin names or... Human names. Kikura-také is
> certainly not a new name but an old one (or local genome)!
> According to the dictionary:  "Kinoko no gogen  - hougen jiten" 1998, Auricularia auricula
> has been called:
> = agarii - kyusu (1897), = amabukuré (1899) , = kango no kusabira (1906), = ki-kura
> (1906), = ki-kuragi (1913), = kiguragé, kikuraké, kori-kori, kon
> nyaku,  shika no fuguri, etc. etc.
>
> Bingo! It has already surfaced as an ingredient in the local cuisine as in "
> Kikurataké-nabé" , where "nabé" means "casserole".
> Bon appétit!
>
> Daniel Guez  (another local Daniel)
You are absolutely right, Daniel. And thanks for posting. I also have
heard the Japanese term Kikurage for Auricularia auricula. However,
the name of the mushroom I _should_ have put in the heading was
kurokawa, which is quite different from kikuratake. The scientific
name for kurokawa is given as Boletopsis subsquamosus in David
Aurora's excellent "Mushrooms Demystified."

I frequently find this high-elevation fungus (and this year,
low-elevation as well). I know that the Japanese eat eat, but don't
know how to cook with it.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com