Fungi fd. 12/30/01

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Dec 31 06:56:44 EST 2001

In preparation for the Jan. 19, 2002 free truffle forage, I went to
that location today to see what I could find. Here they are:

Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale (Oregon White truffle)
Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum (Oregon Gray truffle)
Hymenogaster parksii
Hymenogaster sps. (not parksii)
Barssia oregonensis
Rhizopogon vinicolor
Rhizopogon (villescens?)
Martellia brunnescens
Gomphidius oregonensis (way too old to consider consumption)
Helvella lacunosa
Scleroderma hypogeaeum (atypical. This fungus usually is hypogeous in
my experience, and several months later or earlier. This is the first
time I have collected it in December, and animal/insect predation
indicates it is mature.)
Lentinula edodes (a block outside Mr. Bishop's home, well into
production)
Schizophyllum commune

The area has apparently had at least one hard freeze. But it has also
had at least 34 continuous days of rainfall since late October. This
moisture has apparently "plumped" the truffles to a larger size. It
looks as if many immature Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum are also
scattered through the plantation, suggesting a good crop later in the
year.

General Conclusion: There should be lots of truffles for anyone who
wants to work for them on Jan. 19, 2002. This is a free truffle day.
You need not be a member of either Oregon Mycological Society or the
North American Truffling Society to attend.

Email me if you want directions to the farm.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com