Mushrooms in a painting

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Mon Feb 12 11:11:31 EST 2001

Nathan Wilson wrote:

> It actually looks to me like there might be more than one species
> involved.  The one where you can see the underside the best looks like it
> was probably white spored.  For that one I lean towards Gymnopus but the
> gills are unusually shallow.

I haven't heard of Gymnopus. Do you mean Gymnopilus? (which in any case
has rusty spores).

>  If you look at the larger one with the
> broken stem it looks like it had a dark spore print.  That one suggests a
> Hypholoma to me.

The large upsidedown one seems to have black spores and could possibly
be a woodland Agaricus (e.g. Sylvaticus) with the ring not noticed
by the artist. There are traces of black spore print on one of the
upright mushrooms.

The white spored ones could also be Collybia Dryophila, as pointed
out to me by Paul Pirot by e-mail. The habitat is certainly better
for this than for Mycena Galericulata.

Someone really ought to go and look at the original painting.
Any offers?

Edwin Hutton